SWEET SADNESS: The Sands Chronicles

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Recruitment Strategy? Beware and Be Aware!

A few days ago, a call from some guy with a no-nonsense businesslike voice woke me up. With my just-woke-up bedroom voice, I answered his questions with uh-huhs and hmmms because I wasn’t feeling quite human that time. I was still somewhere between homo erectus and homo neanderthalensis, but I was human enough to actually understand English! Anyway, I knew that

  • he spoke in a hurry because he’s supposed to have meeting in a couple of minutes and he couldn’t “stay long”
  • he’s from some US-based multinational company (well, that’s how I remember him put it)
  • he seemed to be recruiting me for some job [training] that I’d be “perfect for” in their expansion program
  • his long speech was injected with words such as “outsourcing,” “marketing,” “business,” “leadership” and other blahs I couldn’t quite catch
  • he knew I had just woken up (because I said it) but still went on as if I was a full-pledged human (although he did sound quite awkward after hearing that)

Since he didn’t offer any more details than his hurriedly-said name and some bullshit, and I wasn’t really interested despite the “financial compensation” (I have such an expressive voice, you know), I promptly forgot almost everything he told me after we said our goodbyes. Besides, I was a bit suspicious on how he came across my number (should have asked, I know, I know)…my Sun Cellular number, which is, like, so 10 years ago and super obsolete already because no one ever texts me there (actually, no one texts me in my Globe number too, poor me).

Turns out I’m not the only one who has been lured into this. Apparently, a bunch of other bloggers have also been tapped and received a similar call.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying that this is a scam. I tend to agree with the term Tita Dine used: misrepresentation in jobs. But this type of recruitment is downright misleading. And in my books, legit or not, it’s very annoying and full of shit.

And how the hell did they come up with the bloggers’ numbers? Is a blogger giving them out, or worse, selling them?

Similar experiences of bloggers have been linked in my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home