SWEET SADNESS: The Sands Chronicles

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Secret Sacrament by Sherryl Jordan

This isn't a review 'cause I don't really know how it's done (in both evaluations and examinations). All I know is that Secret Sacrament has been the only book to evoke such a funny reaction from me. Nakita ko lang kasi uli kanina at medyo kumirot ang puso ko (shucks, haha), kaya eto, naisipan kong magsulat uli.

The book is basically about two entirely different nations living side-by-side. They're seperated by only a thin strip of land. One is "civilized" (Navoran), the other not (Shinali). One is strong, the other one weak. If Marx were still alive, he'd probably choose to live the latter's primitive communal ways.

Gabriel, a Navoran and born with a healer's (and dreamer's, and thinker's) soul, witnessed the brutal murder of one Shinali woman. The woman, her life fading as blood poured out of her, saw him and asked for his help, but being only a mere child of 7, Gabriel ran far away, not realizing that he had accidentally taken something when he pulled away. One that invariably tied his destiny with the Shinali people.

He grew up with a guilty conscience, the past always haunting him, but with his inherent intelligence and healing power, it never stopped him from achieving his dream. He became one of the most talented student healers in their kingdom, eventually earning the trust and respect of the Empress. Then everything went downhill from there.

A prophecy. A Navoran, even if accused of being a traitor to his land, would bring forth the Time of the Eagle; the rebirth of the Shinali people, and the downfall of the Navoran empire. A man who would love both nations. A man who would, despite the odds and at all costs, unite them.

Sino kaya yun?

Kala mo sobrang spoiler no? :) Kung inaakala mong tama ang hula mo, nagkakamali ka. :p

It's not everyday that I get to like fantasies, but Jordan just...nailed it. Right into my mind and heart.

Ang weird nga eh. When I finished reading the book, I closed it, put it down, sat back, said wow , then after a few beats...

Burst out crying. And I cried. And I cried still.

That was 5 months ago. To quote what I said on Twitter, "Sherryl Jordan's Secret Sacrament? Beautiful story. Sad, but very beautiful."

Kahit siguro you skip the whole story and just read the last part of the book (and I mean yung last page lang), you still wouldn't be able to stop yourself from crying. It's such an amazing story. Sobrang bitin, pero...GRRR! I love it!

Ang funny talaga, whenever I think about it. In fact, just thinking about the book makes my eye well up with tears. The intensity of emotions in the book is...real. It's riveting. It's powerful. Same goes with the language. The book is simply a masterpiece.

I can't say Sherryl Jordan is a brilliant writer all in all, but if one novel is enough to be a basis, I sure as hell can say that she's not brilliant.

She's more.

The sequel has just been released. Wala pa ata sa bookstores dito eh. Wala kasi akong nakikita.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home