SWEET SADNESS: The Sands Chronicles

Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Golden Compass and the controversy

My brother and I watched The Golden Compass Wednesday afternoon at TriNoma. Never mind what the religious hypocrites say that it's "atheism for kids." It's a damn movie --- fantasy, fiction. Whatevs. OA much?

Movie's less than what I had expected though. And it's so bitin. People were reluctant to leave at first, not believing that the movie was cut short. Comparing the first Narnia movie to this, I'd say Narnia wins hands down. I do think the effects are awesome, but I keep thinking that there's something missing from the movie, and I can't figure out what it is. Heart? Depth? I don't know. Maybe it's just Aslan (y'know, the lion, my crush), for all I care.

What I like about the movie is that it didn't drag me from scene to scene. There's always something happening. Kumbaga, never a dull moment. Hindi ko na nga napansin ang oras eh. Not an awesome flick, but close.

Moving on....

I'm glad my parents gave me the freedom to choose what books and movies I read and watch, respectively. The controversies surrounding the movie are, IMHO, a bunch of crap. I'm a lapsed Catholic. Yeah, I've been a lordy-lordy type of person years ago. In fact, I'm sure that if you knew me back then, you wouldn't believe how religious and spiritual I was. I've never been asked if I wanted to be a Catholic, but I did everything a Catholic was supposed to do. However, what I cared for the most was my relationship with God, not the religion.

When I "lapsed," my parents didn't disown me. They didn't ban me from doing things that I love. They didn't point fingers and accuse me of being a little devil (but I admit I am, haha). Maybe they never really understood the transition, but what's important is that they understood that I'm my own person. I have my own mind. I have a right to be critical about things concerning my well-being.

I don't know where the parents are coming from, sure. I can't say I understand or NOT understand their, uhm, stand. But to ban the movie? That's...*sighs loudly* quite stupid. Why not just keep your children from watching the movie or reading the book? Why not feed them with more "wise words"? Precautions? Responsibility? Fairness?

This is going to be a long debate if I expound (not in the mood to argue --- no fair), but bottom line is (for EVERY argument thrown against the atheists and/or anti-establishments)...not believing in a supreme being doesn't make someone less of a human. It shouldn't make someone less deserving of respect...of trust....of love...of life.

Of books. Of movies...

I don't like organized religions, but I have half a mind not to bash, disrespect, or even kill the people belonging to them. Unprovoked anyway. ^_^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home