SWEET SADNESS: The Sands Chronicles

Monday, December 24, 2007

Holiday Season Ramblings

My family went to Trinoma last Saturday all because of Krispy Kreme. Remember when I won P400 worth of KK gift certificates during the 2007 Philippine Blog Awards? It expired last Saturday, December 22. We were supposed to go to the shrink, but we had to cancel because...well, just because. Good thing anyway. I had a migraine and decided to sleep it off. My mom woke me up at some time past 7pm and asked me when the KK GC would expire, and I, still groggy, answered the question sleepily: Today. Hah, we left only because of those damned GCs. :D It was only my 2nd time to eat KK donuts. Too expensive, but hey, once in a while, right?

After we got a parking spot, everyone waited for the fireworks display of SM (as always). But as it turned out, Trinoma went first. I loved the colors of the fireworks, but the whole "event" was just simple. After it ended, as if right on cue, SM's fireworks display started (awesome!). Did they talk it out? How about a bridge between the two malls now?

I bought a new seat padding for the office/computer chair in my room. First time I ever entered Landmark. Got googly-eyed with all the stuff there (now I want a damned expensive oven in my kitchen coz I wanna bake). After the necessary useless-stuff-shopping --- the "useless stuff" including a party mustache, bubble guns, torotot, mini bowling set (I think you get the drift now, and an idea where the shopping was done) --- my mom talked about our plans for the holidays (which ended with the deal that I'm the one who's going to cook in New Year's Eve).

On the way to the activity center where my dad and brother waited for us (after they went techie-shopping), I saw a child letting out heart-wrenching sobs. It seemed like he was missing. I approached him and asked what's wrong. There's a saleslady only a feet away from him, 3 other people within 2 feet, and no one noticed him? I was a good 10 feet away and even I had the decency to ask the kid what was going on. When he was "accounted for" already, I asked my mom this nagging question --- one that I've asked myself many times over the past couple of years: Why do people ignore something going on right before their eyes? It's either people are blind, they pretend to be one, or they simply don't care. Is it too hard to notice missing kids that they just ignore them? It doesn't matter one bit if their parents are just playing with them and only hiding. Once you talk with the kid, the parents have to have half the mind to reveal themselves. Shit, are we only desensitized, or are we downright insensitive?

And the people who ignore the needy are the ones who go on and on about the meaning of christmas and all. Hypocrites!

I'm averse to giving money to children. As much as possible, when someone asks me for spare change, I give food, or candy even. That way, I'm sure that the money isn't used for something destructve or stupid, or both. A couple of days back, a group of kids sang the classic caroling song "Ang Pasko ay Sumapitt." As my brother was about to reach for the dashboard for some coins, I told him to give them candy instead. Can't forget those kid's faces when they opened the wrapper. Which made me remember another time when I was on my way to school. You know the SM-UP jeepney route? Where somewhere along BIR and East Ave, there are kids who board the jeep and wipe dirt on people's feet/shoes and ask for money? Naalala ko, one time there's this kid who did just that. I was near the "exit" then. I gave him a candy. He smiled. The candy fell out. He cried. I was so amused (some people actually chucked loudly --- that's how extremely funny the situation was) that I to keep myself from laughing at his face. I gave him another candy instead. He didn't open it until he got out of the jeep. :)

And speaking of carollers, is it me, or it's a dwindling tradition? Kids usually start croaking on christmas songs as early as November (earlier, if possible), but in our area, the croaking started on 2 weeks ago. Aside from that, I've noticed that the caroller groups run in small numbers now. What's happening?

Sooooo...My gift to my parents? One day at the spa. Well, to be more accurate, about 2 hours. They need it. They deserve it. I gave the brother a wallet and the PS2 game he's been begging me since forever, Driver Parallel Lines. Father gave him P650!!! The nerve! I have never received that much money from the dad until I turned 18! DAYAAAAAA!!! Haha!

AND I CANT ACCESS GMAIL!!! WTF?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home