SWEET SADNESS: The Sands Chronicles

Sunday, April 27, 2008

I won in the beer-drinking contest during the 88DB.com party

I knew my "talent" would prove useful in the most crucial of times.

First, let me say that I kinda enjoyed the event despite its disappointments (mostly revolving around the so-called meal that consisted of four tiny pieces of something I dunno what the name is). If the event was within a certain budget in the first place, I'd think it'd be more reasonable to start it at around 8pm and not earlier. Honestly, if my friends and I had known that we'd be starving ourselves to death in there, we'd have stopped by somewhere and ordered a generous serving of this food and that. We just came from iBlog4! Food served in the summit was enough, but dinner was another story altogether.

It's no wonder bloggers left the event earlier than they usually did (to go eat somewhere more budget-friendly...if you ask what "usual" would be, the answer'd be "hours after the party ended"), or some bloggers were just downright cranky and pissed off about everything.

See, it didn't matter that there'd be no real meal in the event, but the fact that it was supposed to start at 7pm was just, well, something. Hell, the party didn't even start on time. If only we had known...we could have grabbed a bite somewhere first.

I know many people would choose not to blog about their disappointments, but I've heard enough complaints last night to last me a lifetime, and know that I'm not alo ne in this.

So anyway, now that it's done with, on to the more interesting moments of the party.

I thank, first of all, my dad for letting us 10 healthy bloggers hitch a ride to Katipunan. Of course I had to coerce him into doing it, but he gave in eventually, most probably for the laptop's sake.

Second, muchos gracias to DJ Kel the Mushroom turned DJ MisterVader for letting me, uh, cheat my way to the human bingo game. I had an idea which was which, but it was still more convenient for me to have a cheat sheet of sorts, especially when I was doing both my brother's and my cards. It didn't help that the placards were worn by social butterflies who flew from one place to another in a matter of seconds. It was so darn hard to find them.

I'd also like to express my utmost gratitude to the people I was with. Guys (no offense meant, LA and Jhed, he he), you were fun. Thanks for the wonderful company...as always.

I admit I never read the whole blog post of Aileen about the party. All I ever found out was that we were supposed to come as our blog, not that there was a PSP at stake. Sad. I could have done something more elaborative, like taking the suggestions thrown by The Jester in Exile and MisterVader.

Since we were a bunch of early birds, I decided to shake off the nervous energy by taking the stage and singing my gut off. Ang kulit ko, yun lang. I felt like a bar singer who was noticed by no one, seriously. But at least the energy wore off before the party officially started.

A couple of my acquaintances won in the Bring Me thingy. Aaron James received Stabucks gift certificates; Neil received, I think, a certificate in a spa or somewhere else.

And I find this a perfect opportunity to gloat. I won in the beer-drinking contest! It was no easy feat, given that the competitions were, at the very least, equal in capacity for alcohol to mine. But I prevailed! I could have gone in front sooner, but the bubbles in the beer bottle were a bit unnerving. And I hesitated a moment too long. Someone in my right shouted to get my fat ass in front and enumerate 5 categories already. I stuck with the simplest: Music, Pets, Entertainment, Beauty & Wellness, and Lessons & Instructions.

I thought, hey, anything for free beer, right? (Although I pretty much hate the taste of beer, especially San Mig Light. Errr, I'd take a Redhorse anytime.)

The rest of the night was a bit of a routine: we run to the photo booth, pose 4 times, wait for the photos to print, then laugh at ourselves for our silliness. We talked with others, waved, smiled. The usual things.

Congratulations to 88DB.com and all the people who organized the party. It was cool, and the prizes were impressive. Thank you, and sana maulit muli. =)

PS: I know I said it'd be a longish post, but...well...*shrugs*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home