SWEET SADNESS: The Sands Chronicles

Saturday, April 19, 2008

My Top 10 Applications for Treo

They're what makes my Treo a very valuable item. They give Treo its name. They're the reasons why I love my Treo. Without them, Treo would be just another mobile phone.Truth be told, they're the only apps installed in my Treo. So if you have any suggestions, don't hesitate to leave a mark. Just a note though: I'm not a gamer. :)

Destaller

Destaller Pro is an application oriented uninstaller. Applications store many different files that often cause resets and the necessity to do a hard reset when not removed properly. Destaller removes this danger and headache. In addition Destaller allows you to maximize the memory of your device by allowing to safely remove single files, 'a68k' Files, saved and unsaved preferences and more.
I'm one of those people who like to experiment a lot on phones and computers. I tend to install one program, try it, not like it, then uninstall it. Destaller makes this a very easy thing to do by safely removing files that are associated with the application I've just uninstalled. My phone's memory is at its best, with all the unwanted files gone from the system.

Documents To Go

Documents To Go is the only product on the market today with support for native Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF and TXT files as well as native JPEG and BMP graphics. You can even use files saved to expansion cards or sent as e-mail attachments directly on your smartphone or PDA without synchronization. Most importantly, your original desktop documents will never lose formatting when you make edits on your device using DataViz's unique InTact Technology.
One can go as far as to say that this is the sole reason why I use my Treo. I read. A lot. And I conveniently do this using Docs To Go. It's like eating in your favorite restaurant, only your orders are to go. Of course, I wouldn't say MS Word is my favorite word processor, being an OpenOffice user. My only gripe with this is the need to install the program in the computer. Erk.

Pocket Tunes

Pocket Tunes is the most feature-rich audio player for your smartphone or Palm handheld. Whatever you are looking for in an audio player, you're sure to find it with Pocket Tunes.
Gone is the lame-o media player called RealPlayer in Treo 650. Don't get me wrong, I think I do love Treo 650 over Treo 680, but seriously, the built-in player in Treo 650 gives you the feeling like you're in jail. Everything's limited. But alas, pTunes is a more liberating alternative. Granted, some prefer other apps, but I tend to stick to the built-in features, and pTunes is way better than RealPlayer.

BDicty

The BEIKS Dictionary Reader (aka "BDicty", pronounced "bee*dik*ti" ) is a reference viewer for mobile platforms and the second dictionary application ever made for Palm OS.
Dictionary and thesaurus are my friends. They're my companions. When in doubt, I use them. In fact, I use them everyday. I use them when blogging. I use them when writing. So it just makes sense that I install something that'll help me with my dependence on these reference materials. BDicty is probably not the best pocket dictionary and thesaurus reader out there, but it does the job. And it's lightweight compared to Merriam-Webster and Oxford, but, like the other two, absolutely not free (in the speech sense).

Softick Card Export II

Using Softick Card Export II it's possible to access SD/MMC card inserted into Palm OS device as a logical disk on the Windows desktop. Card Export II emulates USB Mass Storage device and doesn't require any additional drivers on modern desktop systems.
I needed something to read my SD card with, without having to remove the card from my phone. It's actually a neat app, one of the most useful, especially if you tend to transfer a lot of files from your computer to your phone a lot. Hotsyncing isn't exactly the answer to all "prayers."

MiniTones

This small freeware app allows you to select a MP3 file and add it to your ringtone list in Sounds. It also features a file splitter so you can use a section of a song instead of the whole song.
Although I'm perfectly satisfied with all the ringtones for Treo (I'm not very particular on tones, really), sometimes I have the urge to, err, personalize it. And since Treo doesn't allow the use of MP3 as a ringtone, the next best thing is to use something that allows it. Back when I was a Treo 650 user, this is a must-have, if only to prove your sole ownership of the phone with your preferred ring tone.

TCPMP: The Core Pocket Media Player

Whether your media files are DivX, XviD, MP3, Matroska or MP4, "The Core Pocket Media Player" (TCPMP)" is the best open source media player to provide a solution for playing all your digital media on a wide range of mobile operating systems and devices. Possibly the best media player for the Treo 600/650.
Said to be the best media player for Treo. It's the only thing you need to be a happy Treo user. But since I'm not a very active watcher of videos, I'm a bit indifferent at that description. However, with all the hentai videos I can watch privately (like that one playing right there, heh), I am a happy Treo user. ;)

FileZ

FileZ is the premiere device utility application for Palm OS. It gives you full access to your device's files, system information, and preferences. The intuitive file browser allows you view, edit, copy, move, delete and send any file on your device or an external memory card. FileZ also includes extensive system information, such as memory usage and battery status. A preference editor allows you to view and delete preferences for any application on your device. All of this comes in an easy to use and customizable interface.
Err, I just like fooling around, really. And looking at every single file in my Treo is one of my favorite pastimes. Don't ask why.

DiddleBug

DiddleBug is an application for the Palm family of handheld computers. It is similar to a yellow-sticky note in that it allows you to scribble information onto your Palm device using digital ink. You can set alarms for each note from a pop-up list, and DiddleBug will not let you forget your reminder. In addition, DiddleBug has IntelliBoogerTM extensions that allow you to transfer information from within DiddleBug to other applications, such as the built-in ToDo and DateBook apps.
Just because it's fun to doodle. It saves me money for ink and paper (if you're a close friend/classmate, you probably know about my infamous creative works during class discussions that result in 10 pages of notebook wasted on doodles). Besides, why do you have to type, when you can just write, right?

Softick PPP

Softick PPP is PPP server which accepts connections from Palm powered device via USB cable/cradle.Using Softick PPP you can connect your Palm powered devices to your corporate LAN or Internet. Integrated NAT service makes this connection easy and secure.
A personal favorite at the latest. It lets me connect to the internet in the phone via laptop and USB connection. Pretty neat, as opposed to paying P.xx/kb or P10/minute using GPRS or Globe and Smart. And the connection's fast, given that the laptop is connected via DSL. And in all actuality, this program gets installed in the computer, not the Treo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home