SWEET SADNESS: The Sands Chronicles

Sunday, May 04, 2008

"Dear Sir, I am fat and wear spectacles."

It's the line that resulted in Hugh Edwards getting the part of Piggy in the 1963 adaptation of William Golding's The Lord of the Flies.

I was watching the movie last night, and it brought a lot of almost-forgotten memories into surface, the most notable being my hatred for Lord of the Flies when I was in my freshman year in high school (hello, Ms. Gapas! haha). You could just imagine my frustration with the novel when I had to make a book report about it for English class. I was too occupied in trying to understand To Kill a Mockingbird that time (which was a required class reading), and coupled with the pressure of the book report, I became dangerously close to slipping into insanity.

I hated William Golding with a passion.

But I got a newfound appreciation for the book the second time I read it. I realized that, just like To Kill a Mockingbird (which became a favorite also AFTER the class was done with it, heh), it was a novel with an important social theme.

Men are inherently evil.

And in a twisted way, Golding has a very sensible and valuable point, don't you think so? (Especially taking into account today's society, and the context of which Golding wrote the novel during World War II)

(You think I'm going to make kwento the book in here? No way, heh!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home