SWEET SADNESS: The Sands Chronicles

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Latest Indiana Jones Installment: AWESOME! (dot dot dot)

I've died and gone to [insert afterlife place here]. Seriously, this has got to be one of the most exciting days of my entire, natural-born life. Gadamwit, I feel good!

And it's all because of Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I'm gonna sum up my thoughts in just one word: Great!

In fact, unlike some movies with sprouting sequels, the fourth Indiana Jones is definitely far from being an embarrassment to the series. And though it seems as if I'm contradicting myself because I honestly like the prequels better, it held its own.

Yeah, yeah. I know. This may seem to be a prejudiced verdict of the movie, but as a hardcore Indiana Jones fan, I expected the movie to be just as good as the first three ones at best, and plainly suck at worst.

And guess what? It didn't disappoint. Generally speaking anyway. Even my father is fairly entertained, and he likes the Indy movie series himself (I mean, come on, why would we even buy an original set of VCDs years ago if we didn't like it?)

It's not as breathtaking as Transformers. And I haven't seen Ironman yet to make a fair comparison. But in the era of translating the comic book superheroes to the big screen, Indiana Jones sure did one hell of a good job catching up.

The surprising things I noticed regarding the movie are (also known as "some noteworthy points"):
  1. Aliens (don't ask, just watch...but it really really REALLY threw me off, and it kinda ticked me off)
  2. The movie (as well as the titular character) retaining its familiar humor and wit



  3. Harrison Ford slipping back into his role almost flawlessly, even after years of being "out of commission" as Indy



  4. The return of an old flame (who happens to be my most favorite "flame", although for some reason, the appearance honestly didn't sit well on me. Add the fact that she's there in the movie almost with no purpose than telling Indy that he's Mutt's father.)
  5. Nazis gone, and in came the KGB.
  6. The freaking ridiculous, utter waste-of-screen-time scene where Mutt pulls a Tarzan with the TOO friendly monkeys! Geez, what the hell was that all about?



  7. The plot? Kinda...twisted...and off...but maybe you wouldn't know what I mean until you got to watch the prequels.



  8. The way the ending hinted that the character played by Shia will carry on the Indiana Jones legend (I say I'd boycott the franchise altogether if that happens, but I love Indy too much...but really, it would be such a shame if that happens, because I think no other man can play Indiana Jones, and play it well, than Harrison Ford. Indiana Jones is not Superman, Batman, The Incredible Hulk, James Bond, or some other character that's been played by more than one actor. Indiana Jones IS Harrison Ford, and Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones, thank you very much.)
Okay, so clearly, I have mixed reaction. There ARE some stupid and ridiculous scenes (see number six), but I find them more amusing (and quite corny, admittedly) than anything else.

Shia LaBeouf is surprisingly good in the movie (he and Indy clearly have some chemistry on screen). And Cate Blanchett? Flat-out amazing, that's what she is! And so is Harrison Ford (of course!) The action scenes are great (duh, as always)! My only gripe is the plot.

But still, if you're looking for a movie that's just plain and simple fan, Indiana Jones is worth that one hundred and fifty bucks of yours. Action scenes are way way way above the entertaining level, and you're pretty much licked once you see the first scene.

Oh yeah, and I confess: I think it's a great movie BECAUSE it's Indiana Jones. :p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home